by Betty M., November 2012
The Thanksgiving Canteen was the best ever. “What are you thankful for this year?” was the theme.
I’m so thankful for Michele and Lend a Hand – for the volunteer rides; for the canteen and tours to the museums and art galleries; for the cheerful phone calls – your smile and positive attitude travels over the wire; and for the friends I’ve made along the way. Lend a Hand makes the difference in my lonely life.
And I’m thankful to:
- One lady, a survivor of Katrina with fantastic survival skills,
- Two ladies who are truly local, with tales of how it once was in Tucson,
- One Man from Nebraska who brought tasty pumpkin cake,
- One man from North Dakota (Alan),
- One man who fixed the microphone system. It works!
- Connie, a lovely hostess.
There was an abrupt end when a homeless, barefoot girl appeared looking for a woman’s shelter. Alan called for help. Connie stayed with her as we all left.
I wish you could have been there and seen for yourself the very genuine, heart-felt thanks from these people. It was real.